"Meaty" Vegetable Stew
Rich, nourishing vegetable stew made with seitan.
- 1 lb seitan OR Gardein Beefless Tips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large carrots
- 4 large white potatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 2 small bay leaves (or 1 large bay leaf)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large pinch ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup hearty red wine
- 2 cups frozen peas
Cut seitan into bite size pieces.
Place flour in a bag and dump in seitan chunks. Give a good shake until well coated.
In a deep pot, bring olive oil to frying temperature.
Brown the seitan well.
Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the frozen peas.
Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer until all the vegetables are tender.
Add peas and simmer a few more minutes.