"Meaty" Vegetable Stew
Rich, nourishing vegetable stew made with seitan.
- 1 lb seitan OR Gardein Beefless Tips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large carrots
- 4 large white potatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 2 small bay leaves (or 1 large bay leaf)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large pinch ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup hearty red wine
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Cut the carrots and potatoes into 3/4" pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Cut seitan into bite size pieces.
- Place flour in a bag and dump in seitan chunks. Give a good shake until well coated.
- In a deep pot, bring olive oil to frying temperature.
- Brown the seitan well.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the frozen peas.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and simmer a few more minutes.